America’s love and need of the automobile won’t be going away anytime soon.They are a fact of life and are an essential element that allows us to meet our daily needs and obligations. There are ways that we lessen the impact of our vehicle use on the planet – green driving is one of them. By making just a few adjustments, we can make a difference and save some money along the way.
1. Make your next auto purchase an alternative fuel vehicle. Electric powered vehicles and other alternatives are becoming more widely available.
2. Don’t drive alone. Join a carpool or utilize mass transit.
3. Drive the speed limit. For every five miles per hour you drive above 55 miles per hour, you lose 10% – 15% fuel efficiency.
4. Avoid short journeys and multiple trips.
5. Properly inflate tires. Improper tire inflation can result in the loss of over 2 – 3 mpg.
6. Stay aerodynamic. Avoid excess vehicle weight and anything that creates aerodynamic drag, such as roof racks, bike carriers and roof storage carriers.
7. Drive smoothly and anticipate road conditions. Avoid sharp acceleration and heavy braking. Accelerating less aggressively and slowing down moderately can increase fuel efficiency by 20% – 30%.
8. Don’t idle your engine. For stops of more than 2 or 3 minutes, shut off your engine. This can save up to 15% of fuel efficiency.
9. Utilize cruise control. This will save up to 10% by maintaining a steady speed and avoiding unnecessary acceleration.
10, Maintain your vehicle. Keep your vehicle properly tuned and replace old spark plugs and filters.