Tips to Properly Maintain Your Hot Water Heater
There are several easy and inexpensive ways to increase a water heater’s operating efficiency and operating life.
By following several of these tips, you can make your hot water less expensive:
- Add an insulation blanket.
- Inspect the flue for breaks or gaps that could leak deadly exhaust gas.
- Twice a year, drain and flush sediment, which reduces efficiency in the water heater. If the level of sediment is in your water supply is high, this may need to be done more often. To drain the tank, turn off the water supply at the tank top, hook a hose to the water spigot at the base, open a hot-water tap in the house and open the water spigot. Once the tank is drained, turn on the water supply at the top of the tank and let it run until the water draining out is clear. Close the spigot and turn off the tap.
- Once a year, check the pressure-relief valve to make sure this crucial safety device isn’t clogged. To relieve any overpressurization in the tank, place a bucket beneath the copper overflow pipe. Carefully push the relief valve at the top and a burst of hot water should spray out. If not, the valve should be replaced.
- Make sure a viable anode rod hangs in the tank to prevent rust out.