First come the New Year, and then comes the resolutions. With eco awareness on the rise, it’s not surprising that many New Year’s resolutions are to live a cleaner and more sustainable life. While green living may be the new buzz word, to start doing it may take some definition and direction. Here are a few ideas that may help you move toward a more green 2014:
1. Practice the 3 R’s: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
2. Buy organics: Shop your local farmer’s market for organic fruits and veggies and look for natural personal care and clothing made from natural fibers.
3. Bring your own reusable bags when you go shopping.
4. Composting as much as possible. Collect your table scraps and lawn clippings in a yard composter to make free fertilizer! Use it on your plants, gardens, tree pits, anywhere!
5. Recycling: recycle everything! Paper, materials, home items, and more!
6. Energy efficiency: purchase energy star certified appliances. Buy and use renewable or wind energy and monitor your use of energy.
7. Water: Reduce you water usage with xeriscaping and using sprinkler systems in the yard. Use shower timers and other water conservation tools to reduce your daily water usage.
8. Indoor air quality: use chemical free cleaners, live plants, sustainable fabrics and paint in your home. Your indoor air quality will improve and you’ll support sustainable businesses producing green products.
9. Wash your clothes in cold water. You will reduce your energy consumption by reducing the amount of heated water needs. Also, instead of using the dryer, try to hang your clothes outside or indoors on a folding rack .
10. Play outside. Have fun and keep fit by appreciating all that nature has to offer: parks, trails, gardens, etc.
11. Green your travel. Try a eco trip this year for your vacation.
12. Get an Energy Audit: Find an energy audit company in your area to analyze the energy efficiency of your home. An audit can potentially save you thousands of dollars by making a few changes.
Have a Happy (Green) New Year!!!