Everyone wants a nice smelling home, which is why air fresheners are so popular. Many spray and plug-in fragrance products smell nice, but breathing in that fresh scent also causes you to inhale harmful chemicals such as phosphates, chlorine bleach, or ammonia.
These unnatural substances can cause allergic reactions, trigger asthma attacks, and irritate the lungs.
Spray fresheners dont just disappear into thin airthe chemicals linger on, staying in the home as they land on surfaces and floors and sink into carpets.
Air fresheners that use chemicals to deodorize the air or cover odors with fragrances contain ingredients like camphor andparadichlorobenzene, which both have the capability to cause damage to the nervous system and increase cancer risk.
Unnatural fragrances added to products may contain formaldehyde, a carcinogen, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), known to cause cancer.
Fortunately, alternatives to chemical-based air fresheners naturally refresh and scent the air, are biodegradable, and are not harmful to your health.
Here are some simple, homemade air fresheners to try:
- Fresh Air; simply open a window. Windows should be opened for a few minutes each day. Indoor air can be more polluted then outside air due to outgassing of plastics, paints and surfaces
- White vinegar removes odors naturally on surfaces and in the air
- Candles from Beeswax or soy wax can wipe away odor particles and improve air quality
- Potpourri made from leftover herbs can make a quick and easy air freshener
- Baking soda absorbs odors, so place a few open boxes throughout the home
- Boiling spices like cinnamon in a little bit of water releases its fragrance
- Essential oils diluted in water can be used as a spray freshenrty a combination of your favorite essential oils like lemon and cedar
Eco Product Picks
Perfect Scents Air Freshener – The “Perfect Scents Green” air freshener is enviro-friendly and totally “green ” inside and out. It is made with natural essential oils and contains no propellants. The continuous spray packaging is 100% recyclable aluminum.