Consider eco friendly options when selecting new furniture for your home or office. Choose high quality pieces that will last decades that are manufactured by sustainable ways. Ask questions about the manufacturing process, and about whether timber used is from an FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) source and/or made from sustainable materials, such as bamboo. Look out for vintage pieces that can be recovered or upcycled. In a contemporary home these can be very effective and become statement pieces in their own right, adding a bit of character.
Monthly Archives: June 2013
Full Life Cycle
The use of a composting toilet system allows for human waste to become soil amendment for trees, landscaping and non-edible plants.
The reduction in use of reticulated water for flushing, combined with the possible use of grey water can be a significant benefit in reducing home water usage.
Food Waste Management
Composting toilet systems may also be accept certain food waste, which will reduce the amount of food waste that will end up in the landfill.
Reduce Monthly Costs
The use of composting toilet system users benefit from the reduction or elimination of sewage rates and metered water billing, which can result in the savings of $400 – $650 per year.
Systems can be installed in a multitude of environments, including remote, high water table, lack of municipal water supply and environmentally sensitive areas.
Waste Management Facility Infrastructure Reduction
Each composting toilet system that is installed reduces the amount of waste that would need to be transported and treated at the local treatment facility. This will help to reduce some of the capacity and prolong the useful life of existing infrastructure.
How Rain Barrel Use Can Help Save You Money Why pay for outdoor water use during dry days when, in most locations, more than enough rain falls right on your roof? Rain in barrels are a time-tested way of collecting water for reuse. Runoff water from your roof, which normally flows onto your lawn or down your driveway and out into the street, can be collected in barrels and used for watering your lawn and garden during rain free times. The collection and reuse of rainwater can help the environment, but there are also financial benefits for implementing a rain capture strategy. Here are a few ways you can save with rain barrel usage:
- Reduce dependence upon city or well water by as much as 40% or more, therefore reducing your water bill
- Possibly avoid water restrictions with a ready back-up water source in times of drought or between rain showers
- Increase the health of your soil by watering the yard and plants with rainwater, minus the many harmful chemical contaminants (minerals, chlorine, fluoride, and other chemical contaminants).
Solar chargers are ideal because they allow you to harvest energy from the sun and then deliver it straight into your mobile device of choice without having to plug into power outlet.The Freeloader Classic is the new star of the solar mobile charging world. Sleek and robust it contains the most cutting edge electronics capable of powering the world’s most popular devices including the iPad and the iPad2.
On the left hand-side of the battery unit are two USB ports, one full size and the other a miniUSB slot. The first is used to connect the various charging adaptors, while the smaller can be used to link the Freeloader Classic up to a PC for a quicker 3 hour charge.
There’s a specific Globetrotter Edition of the Freeloader available, building upon the Classic by adding a larger Supercharger panel that, can charge the battery up in 4hrs and is great for those who spend extended periods of time in the outdoors.
- 1200mAh environmentally friendly Li-ion battery
- 150mA premium quality crystalline solar cells
- Charge Time: 8 hours via solar panels or 3 hours PC
- Nine included tips
- Removable solar panel modules
- Charging via miniUSB option
- 8-hour solar charge time
1) Mini USB – Motorola, Blackberry, Smartphone, iMate etc
2) Micro USB – Motorola, Blackberry, Nokia etc – the new “standard phone adaptor”
3) 4mm straight jack – PSP, TomTom, EBook etc
4) Nokia 3.5mm straight jack
5) Nokia 2mm straight jack
6) Sony Ericsson – wide adaptor
7) Samsung – G600 series adaptor
8) LG – Chocolate, Prada etc
9) DS – DS Lite
*USB socket connector allows connection from devices with their own USB charge cable – e.g. Apple products.